Sunday, December 14, 2008

MaryJo and the WEST WING


Well, all we have to do is make it throughout the night in this room and we get to go home. But, at 10:00 p.m. they tell us to move to the other hallway. That is when things start getting crazy. First of all, every nurse we had was absolutely amazing. We loved them, especially Brandy, the one that helped us through the actual birth. She even stayed a little later on her shift just for us. Well, across the hall, we had Mary Jo. From the very beginning, we kind of new something was different about her, but who cared, we only had to stay the night then we were going home. Around 4:00 a.m. Mary Jo comes in and says she needs to take Jonas for his assessment. January was a little worried about him being off with her, so she went down to check on him. He was OK. But January, being full of hormones just started crying. They asked January if she wanted to roll him back to the room. She just gave a simple nod and rolled him back to our room. So, January fed Jonas and at about 6:00 a.m. Mary Jo came back to take Jonas for another check up. We asked how long he would be gone. She said 1 hour, so we should try to get some sleep. It was still dark out, so that is what we planned to do. No lie 10 minutes later Mary Jo came back in and said that he was fussy. Maybe he was gassy or hungry and that January needed to feed him. January said she just did, but OK. So, Mary Jo handed him to January to feed. January was about to latch him on when she started thinking this baby is heavy. Like I said it was dark, but there was a little bit of light shining in from the cracked door of the bathroom. Then she looked again and thought, this baby doesn't have any hair. Jonas had a lot of hair. Then she thought, this baby is wearing a "star costume". Then I heard her yell out, THIS IS NOT MY BABY. Of, course I was asleep, but I woke right up when I heard that. Mary Jo said,"What?" January said, "This is not my baby". So Mary Jo said, "Oh, OK", and took the baby and just walked out. January told me to go find Jonas. So, I walked right past Mary Jo in the hallway going to look for our child. The nursery is in the other hallway, where we originally were. I told them I was here to see Jonas Jernigan. They said, "Jonas, Jonas, Jonas?" I said, "Is this the only nursery"? They said it was. I was like oh great, our baby is gone. They asked me what his name was again. I said, "Jonas Jernigan". They said, "Oh, he is right here". Apparently they only heard me say Jonas and not Jernigan. WOW, what a scare.
After a few more hours we got to go home. I was so glad. I was going crazy in the hospital.
And that was our experience of Jonas' birth.

4 comments:

Katie said...

I love how spastic January seems when I'm reading these. I can so imagine her running into the hall...NAKED and I can literally hear the tone of her voice saying "This is not my baby"!! Hilarious! I'm so glad you guys went through this before us (maybe 2 times before us)! :) We are trusting you to be our voice of reasoning! I'm so glad he is here! Now, when can we meet him?

Cayla Lanier said...

That is absolutely hilarious! These are the kinds of stories you wait to tell when Jonas brings his first girlfriend over for dinner. Tony would say he knew Gainesville was the wrong place to go...what did you expect from a bunch of gators?
We love y'all and Merry Christmas!

Unknown said...

January and Patrick are great parents. Jonas is so sweet, cute and greatest baby ever. I would sit and hold him for hours IF they would let me :)
granma

Phyllis Fekula said...

I don't like the "other hallway." When we were in the main maternity ward, everything was fine and terrific.
Then they moved us. At 5 AM. But, having a healthy baby, I was happy and didn't mind.
Then the nurse took Lyliana to the nursery for her check up. I should have just gone with her and watched through the glass. I couldn't eat or sleep without her in the room.
I asked our nurse at least twice if Lyli could come back to the room. Both times she said she'd check. Finally, I walked down to the nursery. The nursery nurse said, "Fekula? Sure, you can take her. I told _____ she was ready an hour ago."
Angry Mama I was... ready to escape the hospital.