Monday, June 23, 2008

Zombies, Cannibals, Werewolves, and Vampires

Patrick- We stayed in a nice campground in Little Rock that even had an ice cream shop in it. So of course we ate a cone that night. We left and headed to Tuscalusa, AL to visit our good friends Buddy and Alison. It was only a 5 hour drive, so that was a piece of cake for us nation-wide travelers. We pulled into our camp site and we just loved it. It was cheap, shady, quiet, and by a lake. It was out in the middle of nowhere. It was a 20 minute drive to Tuscalusa. So we put the camper up, got all settled in, and headed to Tuscalusa to meet up with Buddy and Alison.
While I was driving, January was reading the flier from the campground. It said that the campground gets locked up at 10:00. So, January called to see if we could get the code or a key or anything, just making sure we could get back into the park. The guy stated again on the phone that the park gets locked at 10:00. So January asked what we needed to do, and he said he guessed we could park a car on the inside and the outside so we could get back to our camper, because he was not coming back to unlock it. January informed him that we did not have 2 vehicles and that she surely did not ask him to come back and unlock it. She let him know that every campground has an alternate entry or code after a certain time. He told her they were a Federal campground and we had just better bring a flashlight. This guy apparently does not know who my wife is. So when she got off the phone she was "a little fired up". She informed me that we will be driving to our camper no matter if the gate is locked or open. I just went along with it. The bad thing was that our camper was like 2 miles from the entrance. O well, we just kept on to town.
We met up with Buddy and Alison and got to see Shelton State (the college he coaches softball at), their home, and then we went out to eat at a cool little college town burger joint. It was great. We left their home at 9:40, giving us exactly 20 minutes to get there. According to the GPS we were to arrive at 10:02, so I started hauling tail. Remember, we were driving back in the boonies, and the roads were very curvy. January wanted me to slow down. She was not worried at all, but of course, I was. I did not want to walk 2 miles back to the camper with a pregnant angry woman. As we were pulling in, the Park Ranger was pulling out. Thankfully the gate was open. I was so glad, we made it.
Now is when our minds start wandering. Yes, there were other campers, but we never saw any real people, except the lady I paid my money to at the entrance earlier that day. We started wondering why they locked up the place from 10:00 to 7:00 in the morning. They can't do that. What if people need to get out for an emergency? I started thinking, is this like the Hotel California, where we will never leave. January started informing me that they were probably cannibals and were going to eat us, so she made me get the machete out of the truck and sleep beside it. She was getting all freaked out and said she was not going to be able to sleep. I mean, she actually said she wanted to pack up and leave right then. (January: The reason we didn't see any people was because the cannibals there ate everyone...and they were locking us in to eat us!!! AND our camper is part tent so the werewolves, who were also vampires (like in Van Helsing) would claw right into the canvas and suck our blood - maybe before the cannibals got to us to finish us off!!! I'm sure those kinds of scary beings have it all worked out!) I told her we would be OK. Well, it was about 2 minutes after she said she would not be able to sleep, that I heard her snorring. I on the other hand, laid there all night and did not sleep at all. Not even a little bit. I was not even worried like January was. So, at 6:00 I made her get up so we could leave as soon as they opened the place at 7:00. We pulled out of the exit at 6:56, passing the Park Ranger again, I guess he was opening it up, and he gave us a big wave goodbye. The more I thought about it, the stranger it got. How could we pass the Ranger 2 different times, unless he knew when we were arriving and leaving? Maybe that is not that weird, but I think it is. Finally we left that place and headed home.

No comments: