Monday, June 16, 2008

Hitting the Trails!

Thrill-seekers, enthusiasts, and curious alike...pack your jeep, put on your sunscreen, buckle up and experience Moab off-road. We packed the jeep and were ready to go around 8:30AM - No sleeping in on this vacation! We have to bring 80-100 ounces of water per person, for the day so we don't get dehydrated. The first trails we hit were Dubinky Well, Spring Canyon Bottom, and Secret Spire. These trails are considered "Easy" because there are very few tough climbs involved. We encountered some great switchbacks and narrow roads that were pretty high up, but nothing we needed 4WD for...That's coming tomorrow! I managed to fall into a small plant with millions of small needles on it...I mean seriously, try peeing in the wilderness, downhill, scouting for bugs, keeping my pants dry and holding up my weight plus whatever my kid weighs, and then realizing Sasha is on the way to see what's going on...I just lost my focus and fell right over into the stupid plant! Thank God, my hand took the brunt of the abuse and once I got down the hill, Patrick and Dad help me pick at least 400 thorns out...Next we went down into a wash that, when raining, spills over into a deep canyon. You can literally climb down into the waterfall path and walk to the edge where it spills over the sheer canyon wall - One false move, and you're a gonner...We also stopped at the bat cave - you walk through the cave to see a great view, but you MUST keep your hands down at your sides so you don't touch any bat poop...Great cave and we didn't see any bats...We ate lunch at Secret Spire, which is a rock formation that is in the middle of nowhere, but is a must see! Patrick, Dad, and I did some rock climbing at this stop after lunch. We scouted out the trail we thought we should take and then sent Patrick down first!!!! Everything is MUCH steeper than it looks - to the eye or in pictures, but we made it and the climb was great! After lunch, we drove to Dead Horse Point which is paved and easy driving, just very high and AWESOME panaramic view. To the left you see ice blue lakes where minerals are mined. To the right you see the Colorado river snaking through all the deep canyons and crevices. Right out in front are the most amazing canyons, mesas, spires, and other crazy formations! I would tell you the story of Dead Horse Point, but it's pretty sad, so I think I'll refrain. Our last trail of the day was in the Dead Horse Canyon Area...on this trail is where you can see the leaning rock that was filmed for a Jeep commercial...We went under the rock and through the rest of the trail and came home to clean up for what our campground host called a "Romantic Boat Tour with Dinner on the Colorado River." I don't know what he calls "romantic", but if that was it...he CAN'T be married...

No comments: